Marin Headlands - Hill 88

The boyfriend and I decided do something fun before school started and we decided on a hike. I researched hikes around SF and stumbled upon a hike around Hill 88 in Marin Headlands, just a couple minutes north of San Francisco. Looking at the map, it seemed like a mild/moderate hike and I really didn't know what I was getting myself into.

We stopped several times to look at old coastal defenses that were built during WWII, most of the Marin Headlands are just remains of the war. To read more about it, check out: http://www.nps.gov/goga/historyculture/battery-townsley.htm. The remains were tagged up, of course, but being able to see where these defenses were set up was quite eye opening. There were many bunkers up and down the hill...and Hill 88 had quite a few abandoned buildings, but the view was amazing.

Overall, the hike was worth it. It was challenging during some parts, steep stairs and hillsides, but the view...the views are always makes the hike worth it.

The 16 in. barrel out side of Battery Townsley. It's about 68 feet long and can shoot projectiles out 25 miles to sea.





Comments